5.25.2005

Does Anyone Still Read This?

This will be an interesting Thursday. Survivor is over...Apprentice is over...Jenn and the girls (and boy) will be in Wichita Falls...what ever will I do? I dunno...I'll probably work until 8 or 8:30 and then come home and watch some tv. I've recorded 10-15 movies on TIVO that I haven't watched yet, so maybe I'll watch a movie. I'm ready for the 3 day weekend coming up. We are anticipating that our neighborhood swimming pool will open this weekend! I sure hope so! We will probably spend the entire summer there. At least then we'll feel like we're getting some value from our homeowners' association dues! I hate to think the administrator spends all that money on Christmas gifts for her family at the end of the year! HA! I find it interesting that we paid $250 in our closing costs for membership dues, but we haven't heard ANYTHING from our homeowners' association! Hmmm...oh well. As long as we can figure out the code for the swimming pool lock, I could care less. :)

So how do you guys feel about the markets? Do you pay much attention to what's going on? Well, I'm bullish on the market, and I think that despite the Fed's attempt to control our economic growth, and because energy prices have shown some resistance finally, unemployment numbers are good, home construction/purchasing is GREAT, commodities as a whole are improving, inflation fears have subsided, and the markets are starting to react less to negative economic indicators...PLUS the fact that the Dow has finally broken through its resistance level...I think we are staged for a period of growth in equities. The only thing that the bears (market pessimists) can argue is that the Fed's monetary policy (raising rates) is flattening the yield curve, which is historically the most accurate prediction of a near term recession. I'm a little confused by that, but I think there's enough strength in the economy and markets to correct that. If you've studied the business cycle, then you know we are at the base of an expansion, and historically, financials and technology stocks have performed well in this stage...so if you've had cash sitting on the sidelines and you haven't invested it in equities yet - NOW IS THE TIME!! Despite the bears' speculation, there's a LOT of signs pointing toward an uptrend in the stock market...so put your money to work!

On a lighter note...has anyone seen Sandlot 2 yet?

4 comments:

Jeff said...

ummmmm.. The reds have won three in a row and Liverpool just completed one of the greatest comebacks ever in the champions league sooo yeah love the market. Gas prices down = Jeff happy . No haven't seen Sandlot 2 yet and waiting to hear your views on Apprentice?????????? I wanna hear a blog about it!

Kirk Wimberley said...

Ya know what's great about having TIVO and DVR? You can record a show and then watch it whenever you want. Sort of like the Champions League final between Milan and Liverpool. Yes, I recorded the match...no, I haven't watched it yet. But according to Jeff's previous comment...the surprise element of the match is sort of...well...nonexistent now. Oh well. :) OK, I'll blog about the Apprentice, but I was much more impressed by the Contender.

Kirk Wimberley said...

I don't know Wendell, the yield curve is "flattening"...but it's not flat yet, and until it inverts, or stays relatively flat with a lot of other bearish economic news, the curve won't signal a recession. I think the strong current economic data supports a rally, and I think in the coming months we'll see the Fed change their speak and loosen up on monetary policy, thus allowing the curve to steepen. Same thing happened in 1995. Right before the technology boom crept up on us. Might I add once again...we are currently poised for a healthy growth stage in the technology sector. Isn't it fascinating how history repeats itself!!

Alyssa said...

Yes we are still reading, or should I say skimming. I read everything until you start talking politics or investments, then it is blah blah blah. We are lookingninto buying a house so go to my blog and read about the craziness in Hawaiian house buying. My association fees are $200 per MONTH!